"Florentine Double Stuf™ Oreo® Press"
c. 1735 8cm ~ brass
The Oreo sandwich cookie was the ne plus ultra of any 18th century baker's je ne sais quoi, the standard of true craftsmanship. Originally the delicious chocolate wafers were served apart from the luscious, taste-tempting creme filling and assembled before consumption right at the table. This led to the development of various ornate Oreo presses which could be operated either by a serving person or by the diner or guest.
The development of the scrumptious, tummy-satisfying Double Stuf creme filling led to a new round of culinary artifice, with ingenious instruments crafted to perfectly bulge the filling without damaging the delicate chocolaty end-wafers. The city of Florence in Italy, already home of some of the master craftsmen and fabricators of pepper-cellars, jelly compotes and salt-water taffy winders produced some of the most impressive presses of the period. Louis XV of France sent his personal carriage and valet to pick up his now-lost solid-gold Oreo press when it was completed in 1738, and it was always at his left hand during the dessert course. His famous quip, "Apres Oreo, le deluge" playing on his father's famous quip, indicated that, in his opinion, after a satisfying round of Double Stufs the attendant company was sated and ready for nothing more save the fingerbowls or a good hosing down.